If you haven't started yet, don't freak out. You've got about a month to finish it, and it goes quite quickly. I actually mowed through about 50 pages on a stopped Amtrak train after we struck a moped rider. Evidently, he was fine. Don't skip the introduction or the videos, either; they're awesome.
In the introduction, which you are not skipping, Lemov makes a few interesting points. First, I think it's nice to know that the teachers he's observing are working in schools much like our own. Specifically, these are people working in urban college-prep charter schools. In pp 19-23, Lemov lays out data showing how their schools outperform others in the district and close the achievement gap. Sounds familiar! Also noteworthy: one of the Uncommon schools is North Star Academy, where we went to study Interim Assessments with Lemov's colleague, Paul Bambrick, before starting our own interims here at Noble. Lemov's techniques are concrete, actionable steps that we can apply, practice, and master. In fact, we have teachers in our school who are already doing many of these things, whether or not they ever used Lemov's language for them. Still, it will be nice to have a common language for techniques that many use naturally and others have yet to try.
Soon we will all have read Chapter One, featuring Techniques 1-5 (No Opt Out, Right is Right, Stretch It, Format Matters, and Without Apology). Many of these techniques strike me as difficult to pull off in the spur of the moment, without planning them specifically. To this end, I thought it would be interesting to practice together, using one of Lemov's end-of-chapter reflection questions (p.56):
"Think of
ten Stretch It questions you might ask for the scenario (list, p.56)
closest to what you teach."
Together, I bet we can think of way more than ten examples.
If you can think of some examples, please share by posting a comment.
Also, post and let us know what you're currently up to!
Hola Golden Tigers:
ReplyDeleteI'm super glad to be back and was really happy to spend 2 weeks with the girls. It was a blast. We were in Washington State for a week with my mom and then we went on the Disney Cruise to Alaska with Tasha's family. It was great. We saw eagles. I am into birds of prey. Hawks, eagles, osprey. Unreal. In Washington I saw a hawk fly over the car with a snake in its beak and I saw another red tail hawk that had more than a five foot wing span. Seeing red tail hawks made me certain that it's Cooper's Hawks that we have here in the forest preserves in Chicago. The bald eagles in Juneau are like pidgeons here - we saw at least 20.
Page 56 - the stretch it questions.
1. Which pig are you most like, and why?
2. What factors could have led to the pigs building different kinds of houses? Does that matter?
3. What does the wolf represent?
4. What are some of the 'wolves' that threaten us in our lives?
5. When I was hitch-hiking in Ireland, I met an elderly Irish man fishing in a stream. As we talked, he told me, "The Irish work to live; Americans live to work." Why is "The Three Little Pigs" a particularly American fable?
6. Who would you tell this story to?
7. Who would you not tell this fable to?
8. Does it matter that the characters are all male?
9. Why pigs? How are people like pigs? Not like pigs?
10. Why didn't the pigs build a house together? What does this fable have to say about family?
Thanks, Ross, for doing this - it will be fun.
Great stretch questions, Bill! I can't think of any good ones to add...
ReplyDeleteI did get some good use out of the No Opt Out section that I wanted to share. I sometimes don't force myself to use that one because it can be uncomfortable and obvious in the classroom, and the particularly shy students might feel singled out and embarrassed. However, I just used it in my summer school class when I cold-called (another strategy, coming up) on a shy student and he admitted he wasn't paying much attention. I got some other students to answer, then went right back to the shy kid and got him to fumble through an answer. At least he knows now that I won't let him off the hook just because he wasn't engaged.
As for this summer, it's been road trips, camping trips, cycling, and work around the house. Hanging out with the kids (usually at the pool) has been a regular highlight. I've also managed to sleep in a few mornings. Oh, what a feeling.
I have not started reading the book yet but will start this coming week so I can't wait to start asking some questions:) We are working out here at Noble every morning at 6:15am come join us!!
ReplyDeleteHello all. I just got back from a mini-vacation in Madison WI. Here are some Stretch It questions for cheese heads.
ReplyDelete1) With what food would you pair this stilton?
2) Why do you think the capitol is built on an isthmus?
3) How are you like the other people at this farmer's market?
4) Would you choose to live in this Frank Lloyd Wright designed home? Explain.
And, here are some physics related questions for egg-heads.
1) How might a police office use a motion graph?
2) How is the coefficient of friction relevant to driving a car?
3) What are times that you apparent weight is different from your actual weight?
4) When does it make more sense to connect resistors in series?
5) How would you explain the difference between velocity and acceleration to your mother/father?
Well I just got back from . . . . running at the lake. And I've been on no vacations, but I have been at home spending time with my little baby girl. And brewing/wine making during her naps. There are four batches in the basement right now: Australian Cabernet Sauvignon, California Red Trinity, an Australian IPA and an American Wheat. I'd better post because 2 other senior teachers have posted.
ReplyDeleteStretch It for Wisconsin beverage drinkers/fly fishers:
1. Why drink Spotted Cow in the summer?
2. Which New Glarus would you drink in December and why?
3. What part of Wisconsin is referred to as the Driftless Region?
4. In what state is Isle Royale National Park?
5. On what river(s) can you see Bald Eagles in Wisconsin?
Stretch It for math, 5 + 6 =
1. Why do we need to know this?
2. If 5 + 6 is 11, what is 1/5 + 1/6?
3. Why is it not 1/11?
4. What is 0.5 + 0.6?
5. Why is it not 0.11?
6. How about 5x + 6x?
7. What's the same with all these examples?
8. What's different?
9. What do you call numbers like 1,2,3,4,5? What about 1/2, 1/3, 1/4?
10. What's a purpose for categorizing different number sets?
And right now I'm enjoying another homebrew, a Kolsch.
Sláinte!